FACE Host Families
ARE YOU ABLE TO PROVIDE A WARM, LOVING AND SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT?
If so, you qualify to be a host family! There are many benefits to welcoming an international student into your home.
- You gain a friend for life.
- You experience a different culture and worldview.
- You can share your American pride.
- You develop a greater appreciation for your own culture.
- FACE screens, evaluates and selects host families who can provide a supportive environment for the student with similar interests throughout the school year.
- Host families are selected based on the following factors:
- The minimum age is 25, but it is not necessary to have a teenager, and we welcome applications from single parents and retired couples.
- The family must have a generous heart and an open mind.
- The family must provide a safe and nurturing environment for their international student for a full academic year (10 months) or a fall semester (5 months).
- We require an application with references and an in-home interview.
- You must provide a private or shared bedroom (with a host sibling of the same gender).
- Offer three meals a day.
- Make every effort to “adopt” them as a family member for the school term.
- Furnish the necessary transportation to and from school.
A friendship that will endure for a lifetime
We believe that one relationship has the power to positively and completely change your life, along with the life of an international student. When you volunteer to host a foreign exchange student, you will add a new family member to your home. This family member may take the form of a brother or sister for your child, a son, daughter, or even a grandchild for you. This diversity in your home will spark new energy and vitality that will extend to your family, your local school, community, and most importantly to the world.
As a FACE host family, you will offer an open-minded and hardworking high school student the opportunity to:
- Study in an American high school for one semester (5months) or one academic year (10 months).
- Experience and genuinely understand a new culture.
- Benefit from the generosity and hospitality of your family.
- Build lifelong friendships.
- Develop language and leadership skills that will serve them throughout their lives.
- Hosting a foreign exchange student gives an international high school student the opportunity to experience America, while gaining a new family member in your home.
Why Should I Host With FACE?
FACE is a non-profit organization with U.S. Department of State designation that manages J1 high school exchange programs. We feel that a beneficial exchange organization must have a personal relationship with both the students, and the host families. FACE has over 25 years of experience in placing students with compatible American host families. We believe in the importance of building strong relationships with our host families and students, and we provide several layers of support to make certain that all the participants’ experience is positive and memorable. Our local, regional and national staff all share the same passion for cultural exchange and are available to answer questions and handle problems so that you, as the host family, can concentrate on the most important and rewarding task—providing a foreign high school student with knowledge and insight into America and its diverse culture.
The Foundation for Academic Exchange is a non-profit organization founded in 1986 to promote global understanding and tolerance through student cultural exchange programs for high school students from around the world. Over the years, FACE has provided students with an invaluable perspective on numerous cultures. This immersion experience produces a more profound understanding of their own native culture and its role in the global community. We believe this cross-cultural exchange is an important part of developing tolerance between cultures.